Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Yesterday and today...

Two days of running with very different experiences helped me learn a bit about myself as a runner. First of all (and much to my surprise) I found that while I am not an early riser, I am an early runner. It will be interesting to see how I reconcile these two sides of myself as training goes forward.

Let me explain:
Both days I ran 3 miles. Yesterday I got up at 6:15, had a brilliant run, came home, showered, went to work, etc... Today I got up at 9:00am (bad night of sleep, in my defense, and I'm working the swing shift at the library) and did not hit the road until 9:45. Not such a great run, huffing and puffing and panting my way to the end. Also, I've been thinking about that stupid run all day, with a good deal of general negativity and some serious irritation with that very nice route. What gives? Well, I figure that a good part of this is the sun. Yesterday morning, no sun (too early); this morning, lots of sun (too late). So I guess I'm just going to have to force myself to get up earlier. Sigh...

I also think I need to put this all in perspective, motivationally speaking. Getting up early is nothing compared to spinal taps and graft vs. host disease, so there!

And speaking of which, a big shout out to Ann and McKenna who are doing really well this week. Ann is rocking the chemo and McKenna is making fantastic progress after her bone marrow transplant last month. Way to go ladies! Now all I have to do is get out and run 4 miles on Thursday morning...

No comments: