Thursday, September 6, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to my blog!

**Attention: A version of this is posted on the upper left side of this page.**

I created this site in honor of my nephew, Sean, who joined the Hundred Mile Club at his elementary school last September. He loved to run and he had pledged to run a hundred miles last year. Sadly (oh, but sadness does not even begin to describe what we felt), he was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia, complicated by the Philadelphia Chromosome and Monosomy-7 chromosome.

He underwent chemotherapy all last fall and had a bone marrow transplant shortly after Christmas. More complications, acute respiratory distress syndrome, and - with incredible speed - he slipped away from us on March 8. Heartbreak...

So, I guess I'm picking up where the boy left off. Taking my fat, lazy self out on the road to run a Hundred Miles (and then some) for the American Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. At the end of the process, I plan to run 26.2 miles (yup, that's right, a marathon) and this is where you come in. I'm asking for your support.

I'd like to raise about $5000.00 for this incredible organization that is training me to run a marathon while raising money for cancer research and family support. If you would like to sponsor me, please click on the link at the upper right corner of this page. In return, consider this blog a report on your investment. I will try to make regular updates to let you know how I'm doing... a public runner's log, if you will.

Finally, while I am running in memory for this dear, dear child whom I miss every single day, I am also running for hope. In particular, I am running for two more honored heroes - Ann and McKenna (whose last names are withheld here for their privacy). The spirit of these brave young ladies and their families (whom we met through Caringbridge and Sean's school) have been a comfort and inspiration as our family has grieved. So, I'm running in memory of Sean and in honor of Ann and McKenna who will, with grace, beat this ugly disease.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! Good luck, too. If you are interested, since you'll be home for Turkey day(?), Jake and I are running the 5K that morning. It's a lot of fun, right before eating yourself to oblivion. (That's how I roll). The sign up is thru lifetime. Ellen can give you my e-mail. I'll keep checking in on you! Kirsten