Monday, October 8, 2007

8 Mile...

So this would be the time when I could throw in a hip reference to Eminem, if I knew anything about him other than that he once starred in an autobiographical movie that happened to have the same title as this post. My only impression of him is one that paints him as vaguely misogynistic (though he apparently has an "important voice" that has been lauded by some free-thinking intellectuals. I'm pretty free-thinking myself, I guess. But I don't respond well to so much anger, especially when women are the target...

Oops, off on a tangent there. Okay, so 8 miles today! Hooray! I got up pretty early(6am) to make this run work as Tyler was muy humid this weekend and hit the road before the sun came up, about 6:30. Overall, the run lasted 90 minutes and I stopped at a gas station about halfway through to buy a bottle of water and replace some fluids. Boy did I need it! My clothes were soaked by the time I was finished, but I did it. Again, I was really surprised by the fact that I could do it. Is it all the training? I mean, I've been pretty rigorous, but - still - I'm surprised! 8 miles. That's two weeks in a row of personal bests (in terms of distance - and time I guess as I've never run such a distance in any time). Next week it is 9 miles and I'll be in upstate New York to do it. Should be cooler, but the twist in this next run is going to be the hills. Oh yes, that country is filled with hills, so even though I might have gotten over my wariness had I been ramping up again in a place familiar to me, I'm going to be scared all over! Hopefully I can sleep better about it this week than I did last week.

Did I mention something about the March of Dimes? I think so. I was talking to my sister last week about the March of Dimes and how anything is possible and telling her that stuff like this (Team in Training) is great because it is a little something that all of us can do. Just like all those kids helping fund the cure for polio, culminating in Joseph Salk's vaccine in 1955.

Not everyone knows that the March of Dimes did this because the organization, as we know it, has moved on to other things, like funding the study and cure of birth defects. But this is such a great story because it shows that raising money and funding research really can make a difference. Think of all those kids who did not have to lie in an iron lung, or be paralyzed for the rest of their lives. Now think of all those kids in chemo, getting bone marrow transplants, radiation, etc. Come on! Let's cure this stupid disease!

P.S. Don't you just love blogging? I can just ramble on and on and on... Hope nobody got whiplash from the rapidly changing subjects! :)

2 comments:

JRW said...

Great work, Deirdre! I'm impressed with your running progress (and your fundraising and your blog!) This is Jimmy, your coach's husband. No need to fear the hills, but you do need to respect them. Just in case you haven't had any hill-running tips, here are a couple: 1) When running uphill, shorten your stride, but try to maintain your normal leg turnover pace (or close to it), 2) When running downhill your stride will naturally lengthen a bit, but don't INTENTIONALLY lengthen it. Too long of a stride will increase the chance for injury when your foot finally hits the ground. 3) Downhill running is very demanding on the quadriceps muscles. They fire powerfully with every footstrike especially on steeper hills since they perform a braking function to keep your pace in check. [can't have a runaway Deirdre failing to negotiate a curve at the bottom of some New York mountain] If you have those Ice Packs yet, you might use them on your quads post-run if you end up running a lot of downhill stretches. 4) DO NOT stress out if you end up walking some of the steep hills. Hills will challenge slightly different parts of your leg muscles and if you are not used to them, you may need an occasional walk break, especially if you are at higher altitude than your home. 5) OKAY, I'm done and that was more than a couple, but there's no extra charge for the last 3. :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice job D! I was running on Saturday in a 5K race, and having a tough time of it as I was knocked out a lot last week due to a cold. Just when I was about to give up and walk the rest of the race (which wouldn't be a sin, per say) I thought about you and your mantra, it's easier than chemo, then I said it's easier than diabetes (my son)... and I kept moving. You're doing great. I'm proud of you.